Woodstock

Woodstock, as the oldest incorporated town in New Brunswick, has many historical buildings. As well, due to its location along the scenic St. John River, there are many beautiful locations for outdoor activities.

the old carleton county court house

19 Court Street in Upper Woodstock, 506 328-9706, open daily from 10am-6pm in July and August other times by appointment by phoning ahead.

The Court house was built in 1833. When the new court house was constructed in 1883, the Old Court House was used as a horse barn until 1966 when it was purchased and restored by the Carleton County Historical Society (http://www.rootsweb.com/~...). It was designated as a protected heritage site in 1977. Ask to see the Judge's Chamber! The Victorian Christmas Concert is held here on the last weekend in November.

meduxnekeag valley nature preserve

The Meduxnekeag River Association (http://www.meduxnekeag.org) has purchased and protected the Preserve. The Meduxnekeag River Valley is the New Brunswick heart of a rich and unique type of hardwood forest. Containing many provincially rare and uncommon plant species, the surviving scattered patches of this "Appalachian" or "St. John River" hardwood forest occupy only about 1 percent of their original extent. The Association has created a well-marked 10 km network open year round to the public.

the charles connell house

The Honourable Charles Connell House was built in 1840 and was once the home of politician Charles Connell. The house is now a museum which contains authentic artifacts from that era and houses the Carleton County Historical Society's archives.

l. p. fisher library

The L. P. Fisher Public Library is one of Woodstock’s prized community assets. Situated on Main Street in the heart of town, it was designed and constructed early in the 20th century from part of the fortune which L.P. Fisher, Woodstock’s first mayor, left for the civic betterment of the town. The Fisher Library is both a heritage building and a busy working library, part of the provincial library system. It also houses three specialized collections: the Dr. G.F. Clark collection of Wolastoqiyik Maliseet artifacts; the local historical and genealogical reference books and manuscripts of the W.O. Raymond Room; and the Dalton Camp Canadiana collection. The latter are both named for and in part provided by writers whose roots were in Woodstock.