Cumberland

Diamond Hill State Park
Diamond Hill Road

Known as Rhode Island’s 2nd tallest hill and an abandoned ski resort, Diamond Hill still has tons to offer to visitors. Diamond Hill State Park contains a ton of hiking trails, lots of open space, a stage, and an old ski lodge, which can be rented out for basic functions. Also, every August the park hosts CumberlandFest- which is Cumberland’s annual Summer Carnival. The park also includes several athletic fields, and its old ski slopes are great for sledding come winter time.

Blackstone River Bikeway

The Blackstone River Bikeway is scheduled to be a 17.1 mile 27.5 km by 12-foot wide scenic bike-path under construction by the Department of Environmental Management DEM and the Department of Transportation DOT. The southern end of the Blackstone River Bikeway will eventually link to the popular East Bay Bike Path, making a continuous 31.9 mile 51.3 km route for alternative transportation.

The Rhode Island Department of Transportation & Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management have made great progress with a ten-mile off-road segment already opened. The Kelly House Museum, located along the bikeway in Lincoln focuses on transportation history.

As of mid-2009, the completed segment begins in Woonsocket, at the River's Edge Recreation Complex, and heads south through the towns of Cumberland and Lincoln, terminating just north of Valley Falls Heritage Park. A marked on-street route leads from the main path to a short segment in the Valley Falls park. A side spur from the Kelley House Museum leads to a visitor's center, which is accessible as a rest stop off of I-295. Several other parking areas exist along the bikeway.

In the village of Ashton, the Bikeway follows the route of the Blackstone Canal for three miles, mostly on top of the historic towpath. While at Ashton, visit the Captain Wilbur Kelly House Museum, a newly opened museum and visitor center adjacent to the Bikeway that offers free tours. The Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management manages the Rhode Island segments which have already become a popular recreation destination.

Interim on-road routes stretch north through Woonsocket, home of the Museum of Work and Culture, and south to Providence. While in Pawtucket visit the Slater Mill, the Birthplace of the American Industrial Revolution and the Blackstone Valley Visitor Center. From here, one can follow city streets into Providence to make a connection with the popular East Bay Bikepath that travels 14.5 miles along Narragansett Bay to the historic waterfront community of Bristol.

Cumberland Public Library & Monastery
1464 Diamond Hill Road
(401) 333-2552
M-Th 9AM-8PM, F-Sa 9AM-5PM after Labor Day-June, Sa 9AM-1PM July & August, closed Sundays

The Cumberland Public Library was a originally built in 1900 for a congregation of monks. A fire destroyed the buildings in 1950 and it has been reconstructed into a beautiful place ever since. The monastery that surrounds the library provides long walking paths for exercising or taking strolls with your pets. There is also a large playground located on the right-hand side once you enter the grounds that is perfect for children. The librarians are very helpful and the building is designed conveniently for anyone looking for a movie or book. This sight is extremely popular for people of all ages and is a great place for relaxation. In addition to a sight of relaxation during the day, the night holds fast to a site called Nine Men's Misery. On March 26th, 1976, ten colonists were confronted by the Narragansett Indian Tribe where nine men were captured during the King Philip's War. These nine men were brutally tortured, skinned, and left to rot on each of there own respected wood polls. The surviving colonist returned to his folk, and informed them what had happened. Promptly the men were buried, but many say that their spirits still haunt the site where they were tortured. On occasion, to this day, skinned squirrels and other small animals can be found at this site; a work that is done in the dead of night by the cults, ritualist, and people of the like.

Franklin Farm
Abbott Run Valley Rd.

Franklin Farm is a town-owned farm in the historic Arnold Mills section of town. Recently added to the National Register of Historic Places, the farm takes up over 65 acres of land and contains some early 19th century farm buildings. Although the buildings are in the process of being renovated, Franklin Farm still has lots to offer with its community garden. In the community garden, volunteers grow and harvest a plethora of fruits and vegetables, which they sell at the farm stand on the property.